The first time I heard about Vimeo was just last year. In my media productions class that I took, Vimeo was the website of my teachers choice for uploading all the movies we made. Up until that point I only knew of YouTube for uploading videos. I'm constantly browsing YouTube for new music and funny videos. I never hear of people saying they browse Vimeo for those purposes. more exposure-youtube. looking for higher quality - vimeo
I agree with all of the pros and cons between Vimeo and YouTube evident in the article. YouTube does take the professional look out of the videos that you're sharing. I have always been annoyed with the small YouTube logo at the bottom of the screen that doesn't go away. Vimeo gives you the choice of whether or not you want the logo to be seen. On the other hand, YouTube is completely free for it's users and I think that's what makes it so appealing. In order for Vimeo to exceed a certain point, you must pay about 60 dollars just for an upgrade. But, in terms of video quality, the money may be worth it.
Everyone has heard of YouTube. There's no doubt that YouTube has a much larger number of users and viewers. With that being said, because of YouTubes' bigger name, people are more likely to upload their videos there. They will get a larger viewing audience and reach a larger market. Uploading a video to Vimeo could be a hit or a miss. No one that I know uses Vimeo to watch or upload videos, so someone's video may get barely 10 views. You can also log into YouTube through Google, so people who have a Google account have the accessibility of being able to utilize YouTube through Google. In the Web 2.0 era, YouTube wins between the two choices.
I really liked this quote from the Digital Storytelling article, "YouTube is for the masses, Vimeo is a more “pro,” specialized platform". I completely agree with it. Youtube is something everyone can utilize and upload videos to whereas Vimeo is better for a specific purpose for uploading. It has high quality videos which would be attractive to people such as college students shooting a video in a film class. There is also no time limit in Vimeo, where YouTube videos have to be under the 10 minute time limit.
Both video sites are really cool is the aspect that they both have sharing options where you can upload your video directly to networking sites, such as Facebook and Twitter. It allows you to share your videos instantly to your page.
In the end, if you're looking for higher exposure to audiences for your video, YouTube is the site to upload it. If you're looking for higher quality video and are willing to paya price to have more available to you then Vimeo is for you. Both you are able to share with friends on your social networking sites and both allow you to embed your video.
No comments:
Post a Comment