Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Microblogging VS Blogging

     Microblogging is a term that I understand, although have never really used that term before. It is currently what is more familiar in our society.  On the otherhand, blogging is a term that I am very familiar with, but I don't do. Microblogging is something that I do everyday, whereas blogging is something that I have never done until this Com 336 class.
     Microblogging is a form of blogging in which it is a lot shorter and more breif in context, whereas blogging can be very long and extensive. Blogging has always been used for longer thoughts and ideas where microblogging has always been short blurbs, phrases, feelings, even pictures to express something. Blogging sites have formats to follow, such as Wordpress, like having to include a title for every single post.  Microblogging sites such as Twitter and Tumblr, both that I use, don't require you to include such standardized formats like inlcuding a title. You can simply just post a picture if you want to, or a short blurb about how your day is going. These sites give you a lot more freedom to express yourself, without having to include a lot of words. Twitter, however, does limit you to 140 characters or less but it helps you get your point across without all the extra words.  That seems to be the downfall with these microblogging sites is the limits on how much content you can post. People sometimes prefer that more though because people are more likely to read something that isn't pages and pages long. The blogging world is ever changing, but microblogging in my opinion will overpower blogging eventually overall.
     Microblogging is different than social network sites such as Facebook in the profile area. On Facebook  is gives you an "about me" section where you discuss where you're from, what school you go to, where you work, when your birthday is, who you're in a relationship with, etc. With microblogging sites such as Twitter and Tumblr, although not necessary, they allow you to have a picture on your page but having an about me section isn't an option. It's more about what you're posting, than who you are.
     I have been on Twitter since October 11, 2011. My friends finally convinced me and I have been an avid Twitter user ever since. I follow my friends and family who have Twitters to keep updated with what they're posting. I also follow some of my favorite celebrities and artists such as Adele to keep up with what they're up to and when future events are that they'll be involved in. I also follow news organizations, newspapers such as the New York Times, and magazines such as Women's Health. I will post the occasional picture as well.  Twitter is becoming my site of choice over Facebook lately.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment